Employee leave management is one of the simplest yet crucial HR activities that often takes up most of the HR department’s time. They have to ensure compliance with leave policies, guarantee the availability of sufficient staff at all times and also make sure that employee satisfaction is not compromised.
Leave Management includes all the ways employees use to request time away from work and managers use to accept or deny leave based on company policies. Traditional leave management programs are costly and often result in errors.
It is important for any organisation to have a reliable leave management system. Many studies have shown that poor leave management practices negatively affect employee performance. It can also have a huge impact on employee morale and subsequently their project deliverables.
While the process in itself does not take much time, approving or rejecting leaves is a delicate balancing act. It is for this very reason that companies witness bitter manager-employee relation on issuing of leaves making leave management a strategic task for the organization.
Maintaining compliance or managing leave data can be difficult when done using outdated methods, which are primarily manual. Leave management systems can significantly simplify the entire process and add value by streamlining the organization’s leave data.
Leave management system helps your HR teams easily manage paid employee leave, sick leave, medical leave and employee time off. Review your employee leave policies, leave types and annual leave to make your company a more attractive workplace.
Here’s how a leave management system can help companies:
- Allows management to forecast available resources at any point of time by providing accurate information about leave balances, leave trends etc
- Convey leave policy rules like maximum / minimum number of days, holiday calendar management according to location etc by using in-built systems. Applicants are able to refer their leaves balance before applying for vacation days.
- Lack of knowledge about leave policies can lead to negligence. The system doesn’t allow employees or managers to bypass rules while applying for or approving leaves.
- Applicant’s leave history can be viewed by managers as well applicant as the information can be extracted immediately.
- HR teams save significant time as all the information is available online. It helps them take quick and informed decisions about whether or not they should approve an employee’s leave
- Pairing leave balance with attendance is very helpful as it improves accuracy and builds discipline in any organization. For instance some companies may have a policy of enforcing a leave without pay if an employee is absent from work without the manager’s permission.
- Leave when paired with location specific holiday calendars can help calculate the correct number of days that an employee applied for leave.
The leave management process can help the management have a hassle free and more positive employee-employer work relationship, while also ensuring business productivity is not compromised. It allows employees and employers to be better connected so that they become more productive and motivated. These practices implemented with HR management software are especially helpful while ensuring organizations become successful.